Monday, March 13, 2006

Not Trying to Make Light of a Serious Situation...

Okay, last night was INSANE. As a lot of you probably know, Missouri/IL had a lot of weather drama last night. Although I've lived in Missouri for a little more than three years now, I cannot get used to tornados. I hate them as a matter of fact (I know, who likes them). And I can't ever get the proper reaction down. Either I'm in the fetal position in my laundry room during a watch, or out driving around town during a warning. I'm telling you, these things mess with me.

So last night, I was at a concert around 20 miles from home. I was working at a child sponsorship table, so I didn't have my cell phone with me, and didn't realize my roommate was trying to call me every twenty minutes. Several missed calls later, I finally grabbed the phone at the end of the show, and she told me not to come home, but to go somewhere "safe." Well, at 10:30 at night, the safest place is Wal-Mart. I don't know if you're a Wal-Mart frequenter, but after 10 p.m., it becomes an entirely different place, so I'm using "safe" relatively.

So I'm at Wal-Mart, talking to my roommate on the phone, when they make an announcement for everyone to go to the "coolers." I don't know where the coolers are, but I just start following everybody else. And they herd all of us into...get this...a big walk in refrigerator. It's like 40 degrees, and I'm soaked from running from my car in the rain.

Luckily, everyone was really calm, nobody was freaking out, etc. But I looked around and couldn't help thinking "I am at Wal-Mart, in a refrigerator, with 50 other people." It was like a tripped-out nightmare.

After about 30-45 minutes they let us out, but we still can't leave the store. I grabbed a magazine and headed to the shoe department and read for about an hour until the rain and hail stopped. Finally, after midnight I arrived home, exhausted and in a pretty foul mood. My roommate wanted to go to a friend's house to sleep in their basement, but by this time I was practically shaking my fist at the lightning-streaked sky saying "Bring it on!"

But the night has now ended, and although my town escaped with little to no damage, many of the surrounding communities are dealing with quite a mess right now. I'm glad I made it fine, even if God did provide safety at Wal-Mart, in a refrigerator.


Blogger mandy said...

Girl! I've spent who knows how much time on the phone in the last few days just trying to make sure my family was okay. And get this--my grandma wasn't concerned about my mom, dad, and brother, who live near a location where an actual tornado caused damage, but ME. Yes, me, who lives in Nashville and only dealt with wind, rain, and 80-degree weather this weekend (with no a/c)!
E-mail me soon and let me know how everything's going!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Derek said...


all i can do is is well pretty much anytime of the day filled with wierdos. Interesting though you chose to go into wal-mart.

It was some freeky weather.....heck I dont get stuff like this in the Mountain surrounded of Central Washington. I was freeking out.....thinking we were all gonna die

But glad to hear that you are ok!

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home