Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Great Church Hunt Continues

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about the specific church (I'm not into church bashing), but I'll just kind of talk in vague terms about my continuing quest for a church. So, this past Sunday, I visited a nearby church with someone from work. I didn't have a LOT of expectations for various reasons, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Everything was pretty flashy, and for a lot of it, I felt like I was at a show.

The sermon was actually pretty good...better than I expected, although he was one of those speakers who picks like 20 verses spread throughout the Bible to prove his point...but no real red flags. Then, at the end, just when I'm thinking "see, that wasn' so bad," the infomercial began. For, you see, we had only covered one chapter of his new book, which was for sale in the bookstore just outside in the lobby. Also, please, watch this commercial for the CD that comes with the book...which I'll give you for FREE if you purchase the book today. But wait, that's not all, listen to these testimonies. Grown men left the production booth crying when I was recording my book. A woman came to me and said NO BOOK HAD EVER TOUCHED HER THIS DEEPLY (red flag). Bah. Stupid informercial ruining church for me.

However, I did hit a late service at another church and enjoyed it enough that I plan on trying it again. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home