Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Two posts in two days...amazing

My new job is coming with some challenges that I hadn't anticipated. I can deal with insane amounts of work, and rapid turnaround. But I'm discovering that at my last job, I got a little soft. You see, I know writers have to develop a tough skin. When I worked in Nashville, I could totally handle a tough editor. I took it as a challenge. But in Missouri, my boss LOVED everything that I wrote. She just gushed about how wonderful it all was. And I got soft. I forgot what it felt like to get back something I wrote filled with red marks and editor comments (i.e., "this reminds me of cotton candy...sweet but no substance).

Well, I'm going to have to toughen up quickly. My new editor is a GREAT editor. She calls it like she sees it. She'll give me back one assignment and tell me it was really good. Sometimes though, like today, she flippantly comments that something I wrote was terrible. Ouch!

I know that my new editor will make me a better writer. I know that I had gotten lazy in my old job. I know I know I know. But man, I've got to develop some calluses soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. I'll be praying for you. I know the church hunt is a hard one. Tom and I've just found one after months of being in Columbia and we are moving in a couple of weeks. God has a church a set of friends picked out for you. He has to, because you are such a special person!

-Cassie

7:29 PM  
Blogger greta lynn hernandez said...

Hello there friend! I have to admit, I've thought about trying to do some freelance writing after YEARS of not writing, and the rejection scares me to death! ;)

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home